Monday, July 6, 2009

IS GOD DEAD?


So Josh,
How's it going mate? What's God speaking into your life?
It's pretty exciting that I'll be coming over to see you at the end of this month! Don't forget our date - Harry Potter. I actually picked something small up for you that I'll be bringing over - it's not much, but I think you'll like it. Anyways, today's blog...

I stole this from a site called "The Rebelution". These aren't my words, but why reinvent the wheel if something profound has already be said in such a great way? I give all credit to Alex and Brett Harris (pick up their book "Do Hard Things"Still, the following message is just part of the original blog, so make sure you go here to read the rest of the blog.

“It seems that God must have died!”

On one occasion when he was greatly discouraged, Martin Luther, the sixteenth century reformer, was forcefully reminded of this by his wife, Katharine. Seeing him unresponsive to any word of encouragement, one morning she appeared dressed in black mourning clothes. No word of explanation was forthcoming, and so Luther, who had heard nothing of a bereavement, asked her: “Katharine, why are you dressed in mourning black?” Someone has died,” she replied. “Died?” said Luther, “I have not heard of anyone dying. Whoever can have died?” “It seems,” his wife replied, “that God must have died!”

Luther took the point. He, a believer, a Christian, with such a great God to call his Father, was living like a practical atheist. But Luther knew that God was not dead. God was living, reigning, active in the events of history and in Luther’s own life. How foolish he had been! Discouragement was immediately banished.

Knowledge and love of God create an environment in which discouragement and a sense of depression or spiritual desertion find difficulty breathing. That, ultimately is what the psalmists discovered over and over again, and tell us in different contexts and a variety of ways. Let us sit at their feet and learn to see what they saw:

“Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, ‘Seek his face!’ Your face, Lord, I will seek” (Psa. 27:7-8).

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord” (Psa. 27:13-14).

No comments:

Post a Comment