Wednesday, July 8, 2009

56 tattoos on her face...











So Josh,
Perhaps this following article puts some of the things that we do that annoy Mum and Dad into perspective! The words I'm writing are to everyone who reads this blog (just in case you're wondering...)! Oh, and another disclaimer - I actually quite like her tattoos!

Star-faced teen admits lied about tattoo

The Belgian teenager who made headlines across the globe after claiming a tattoo artist had drawn 56 stars on her face, rather than the three she asked for, has admitted she lied.

Kimberley Vlaeminck from the city of Kortrijk, 90 km (56 miles) northwest of Brussels said she fell asleep during the procedure, and woke up in pain when her nose was being tattooed.

But the 18-year-old was caught off camera on Dutch television when she said she quite liked the tattoo, but lied about asking for all 56 stars when she saw her father's furious reaction.

Tattoo artist Rouslain Toumaniantz said Vlaeminck initially liked her new look, and that she got what she asked for.

(Reporting by Antonia van de Velde, editing by Paul Casciato)


I'm sure you know that feeling...or at least I do - when you're caught red-handed, right in the middle of doing something you know you shouldn't be doing. You try to lie or excuse your way out of it, but you know the guilt is written all over your face (quite literally in Kimberley's case! Hahaha!)

I've done that before - I remember the shame, the total shame of being caught. But what about those sins / mistakes / screw-ups that aren't written all over our faces? The failings that are only known to us...and God. The skeletons in our closets? Is there any hope?

Let's see what God says, through His word, the Bible

Step 1

8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. (1 John 1:8-9)

OK, so we've all screwed up; we've all sinned; we've all hurt God and chosen other things / people over Him; we've all rejected Him. If you're honest, that's what you'll say. I know it's true about me - Dan Wallis, Assistant Pastor - BIG SINNER, expert repenter! So we've all sinner: that's the bad news. But without the bad news, how can there be good news? Let's keep reading...

Step 2

1 My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate (someone who's on your side) who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. 2 He himself is the sacrifice that atones (pays for in full) for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world. (1 John 2:1-2)

So, the good news is that, even in our guilt, we can come to Christ and ask Him to forgive us. He then speaks to God on our behalf and clears our name and makes us clean once again. (Yeah!)

But that's not where it ends. Let's keep reading:

Step 3

3 And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. 4 If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. 5 But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. 6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did. (1 John 2:3-6)

God desires us to be holy, to follow Him, to obey Him. Saying "sorry" just to make ourselves feel better just doesn't cut it - God wants genuine screw-ups to follow Him, who feel genuinely sorry about the way they're living...enough to change their ways (in His power). That's what repentance means - turning round 180 degrees and walking in the opposite direction.

But what if you make that big decision to follow God and then the next day, the same sin grabs hold of your and pulls you down into the pit of shame, self-pity and guilt? (Yup, I've been there more times than I like to admit). Let's read on, one more time...

Step 4

Go back to step 1 and repeat the process. As we keep bringing our brokenness before God, He keeps on forgiving us, keeps showering us with grace and mercy and keeps cleansing us. I know life is WAY more complicated than this, and I HATE boiling mine and your complicated life down to steps, but I created the steps so that you can see clearly the hope that God has given us all (that includes YOU).

Kimberley can't realistically get rid of the star tattoos on her face. The whole world knows she had her face tattooed. More importantly, her dad knows too. And, perhaps all that she needs right now is for her dad to do to her what we all need our Heavenly Dad to do to us - to forgive her, and to tell her he loves her - tattoos or no tattoos.

"...he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6)

Going deeper

What are the 'tattoos' on your face? What are the tattoos on your heart? How have you broken the heart of your Heavenly Dad? Are you thinking, man, He'll never accept me -I'm too messed up, too insincere, too hypocritical...

  • Take some time and just tell God exactly what's on your mind, weighing you down (don't try to sugarcoat it - just be honest)
  • Ask for His forgiveness (take some time to wait in silence)
  • Thank Him for His grace (giving us what we don't deserve - His love, strength and forgiveness) and His mercy (not giving us what we do deserve - punishment).
  • Worship Him as you watch this video called "Thank you for saving me"
  • Ask Him for strength to live in a way that honours Him.
Thank You For Saving Me

Thank you for saving me, what can I say?
You are my everything, I will sing your praise.
You shed your blood for me, what can I say?
You took my sin and shame,
a sinner called by name.

Great is the Lord,
Great is the Lord,
For we know your truth has set us free,
You've set your hope in me.

Mercy and grace are mine, forgiven is my sin,
Jesus my only hope, the Saviour of the world.
"Great is the Lord" we cry,
God let your kingdom come,
Your word has let me see,
thank you for saving me!

Written by Martin Smith ©1994 Curious? Music UK



If you've never given your life to Christ, for Him to forgive, cleanse and own, click here to read "Steps to Peace with God". If you want to chat, send me an email (its.dan.wallis@gmail.com). I'd love to hear from you. Don't forget to take a minute to comment on the blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment